Introduction to Microsoft Project 2016: Getting Started (Level 1 / Introduction)
About: In this Introduction to Microsoft Project 2016 class, students will spend time getting comfortable with the Project 2016 user interface, including project views and the ribbon. They will also learn to enter, organize, and link tasks, work with resources, create basic reports, and create projects independently. The course allows time to practice fundamental basic skills essential for efficient use of this program.
This course is intended for students new to Microsoft Project.
The prerequisites for this course are an introductory course to Windows or a solid working knowledge of Windows.
At course completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Create and manage simple projects.
- Enter and manage tasks.
- Work with a project calendar.
- Add and manage project resources and work with the resource sheet.
- Create basic reports for your project.
Module 1: Components of a Project
This module explains how to identify the components of a project and map a project. It also explains the sample projects used throughout this course.
- Project Components
- Mapping a Project
- Exercise: Mapping a Project
- Sample Projects Used in This Course
Module 2: Getting Around Microsoft Project 2016
This module explains how to get around in Microsoft Project 2016.
- Starting Project
- The Ribbon
- Understanding the Ribbon
- The Backstage View
- Open and Save a Project
- Enter Project Information
- Tour of the Quick Access Toolbar
- Exercise: Add and Delete Commands from the Quick Access Toolbar
- Basic Formatting
Module 3: Calendars
This module explains how to work with Calendars in Microsoft Outlook 2016.
- Project Start Date
- Set the Project Start Date
- Creating a Project Calendar
- Connecting a Calendar to a Project
- Create and Link a Project Calendar
Module 4: Working with Tasks
This module explains how to work with tasks in Microsoft Outlook 2016.
- Creating a Task
- Entering Durations
- Enter Tasks and Durations
- Scheduling Tasks
- Set a Task to Manual Scheduling
- Milestone Tasks
- Add a Milestone Task
- Linking Tasks
- Link Tasks
- Adding Notes to Tasks
- Add a Note to a Task
- Add a Calendar to a Task
- Add to Your Map
Module 5: Creating and Working with Resources
This module explains how to create and work with resources.
- The Resource Sheet
- Enter Work, Material, and Cost Resources
- Assigning Resources to Tasks
- Assign Resources to Tasks
Module 6: Managing a Project
This module explains how to manage a project using Microsoft Project 2016.
- Viewing a Project
- Reviewing and Making Adjustments to a Project
- Review the Project
- Setting a Baseline
- Viewing the Baseline
- Set and View a Baseline
- Recording Progress
- Reporting on Projects
- Create a Report
- Sending Data to Excel